
The Myers-Briggs personality test has come up quite a bit recently with my friends which catalyzed some fun discussion and self-reflection. Now there are four categories of the Myers-Briggs:
- Where you focus your attention: Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I)
- The way you take in information: Sensing (S) or Intuition (N)
- The way you make decisions: Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
- How you deal with the outer world: Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)
I unearthed my profile from a few years ago when I took this exam and was an "ESFP". Some of the characteristics were stronger than others (very strong "sensor" while almost right in the middle between "judge" and "perceiver").
I was amused at the accuracy of portions of my profile description and disagreed with others. I agree with the assessment that I am observant, focused on the present, optimistic, focused on getting things done with the most amount of fun possible, spontaneous, and peacemaking. The report said that I am a "conflict-averse," always doing, and persuasive, which I do not find absolutely true in my life.
One hilariously accurate assessment was that as an ESFP, I would rather fall asleep at the top of the stairs on the way to bed rather than miss any of the action that is going on downstairs. Not only was this true as a child, but my friends could also affirm this fact as I regularly fall asleep on their floors or in their chairs in strange positions so as not to miss a beat by going home to bed.
Another humorous, painful truth was the fact that ESFP's tend to "overextend" themselves. In highschool, I was labeled a "serial activity artist," involved in too many clubs, sports, choirs, and programs. To our defense, the Myers-Briggs says that our personality is the most effective at juggling many activities and responsibilities.
Though not completely accurate, I felt that this tool was really helpful in developing greater self-awareness and reflecting on potential strengths and weaknesses that I might bring to relationships, projects, and the workplace. I recommend taking this assessment or an equivalent personality indicator to help you get to know yourself better and generate some discussion among your friends! What is your personality type?

RSS Feed (xml)
3 comments:
I found my results from college a few days ago. INTJ all the way.
now it's got me thinking... I wonder if there is a correlation between birth order and personality? I'm sure there is...
Haha...we have the same personality results my friend :)
Post a Comment