
Last Monday, my radiology class watched Groundhog Day. Though it had nothing to do with radiology, our professor brought it up on our first day of class and was psyched about discussing its philosophical implications together over pizza and cupcakes. How amazing is that? Not only can he read chest x-rays and MRI's, but he can also draw philosophical teaching points from Hollywood.
I did not expect for this movie to affect me so much. In all fairness, it came on the heels of turning 27 (I know...ooo, ahhh) and preceded a big "life story" night at small group. For whatever reason, it really caused me to stop and take stock of what my life is about right now, what I want it to be, and how to go about getting there.
At on point Phil Connors (Bill Murray) says, "What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?"
After many failed attempts at trying to answer this question for himself, Phil finally "gets it". He finds that life is about love and looking towards the needs of other people. There he finds true fulfillment and the cure to his "same-day imprisonment".
Though I am not reliving the same day repeatedly, there is a lot of sameness and monotony to my existence with a lot of potential to be transformed into something better...something significant. I pray that I start to my view my days as the treasured time that they are and make the most out of the moments that I am given. From this perspective, the answer to Phil's question for my own life will be clearer.
To that end, let us start living our "6:00's" with joy and resolve to love stronger and serve people unreservedly.

RSS Feed (xml)
4 comments:
That was a cool movie, I especially like when Phil is being auctioned off, the insurance salesman, and of course the wonderful ending. I think what would have done me in is hearing " I Got You Babe" every morning. Phil just needed to look at life with "new eyes", everything he needed or wanted in his life was right in front of him!
You are so right. I recently conclude that one reason I love medicine is the structure. You always write your note the same way; you typically do your physical exam in the same order. But you can easily forget to spend that extra minute or give an extra smile to a patient when we are stuck in our routines. Not that routines are bad. I quickly realized that I was not going to survive my year at home unless Izzy and I had one. :)
You are so right. I recently conclude that one reason I love medicine is the structure. You always write your note the same way; you typically do your physical exam in the same order. But you can easily forget to spend that extra minute or give an extra smile to a patient when we are stuck in our routines. Not that routines are bad. I quickly realized that I was not going to survive my year at home unless Izzy and I had one. :)
You are so right. I recently conclude that one reason I love medicine is the structure. You always write your note the same way; you typically do your physical exam in the same order. But you can easily forget to spend that extra minute or give an extra smile to a patient when we are stuck in our routines. Not that routines are bad. I quickly realized that I was not going to survive my year at home unless Izzy and I had one. :)
Post a Comment