Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hi/Lo





Whew...this week flew by. Here are my weekly highs and lows.

Hi:
- Our radiology presentation is finished and went well. Our team, "Double Bubble", presented to the "Radiologic Evaluation of the Limping Child" to our professor and colleagues.

- Fun at the Saturday Indians game with friends from church. We played frisbee in the big yard east of University Hospital and beside Lockefield Apartments afterwards. We got caught in the sprinklers like people do in the movies...

- Jumping onboard with a clinical research project being performed by the IU/Kenya partnership in Eldoret. I will get a chance to visit Eldoret for 2 months in the winter (January and February) and do some on-site work for this project, investigating the effects of anti-retroviral drugs on the bodies of children living with HIV/AIDS. This work is so important and I feel blessed to be able to be involved in investigating this question with an excellent IU faculty member/pediatrican.

- A good dental visit. No cavities.

Lo:

- Laser pointer time - Radiologists love the "laser pointer" teaching method. They flash a chest x-ray or CT scan of the abdomen or pelvis and send the laser pointer down the row of students, one-by-one "pimping" us on our radiographic knowledge. This week, I managed to get the pointer not once, not twice, but thrice. I think the combined pressure of being put on the spot with trying not to look dumb in front of my classmates makes me dread laser pointer time. This week I learned the hard way that you should order a breast MRI to evaluate the location of breast implants in a patient (vs. plain film or CT scan!)

- The Starbucks coupon incident (see post below)

2 comments:

Meghan said...

What a great week! I'm excited for you and the research opportunity. I'm glad that it came through. You'll have to keep me posted about it when you're away; it sounds really interesting.

alison said...

What a great opportunity to go to Kenya and take part in the work there! I can't wait to hear more about it.