Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Songs We Love to Hate

I have a confession...

My friends and I have a black list.

This list consists of all of the songs in the world of praise and worship that we have a hard time appreciating. It does not feel right to dislike songs with lyrics that were intended to bring people closer to God through collective worship. However, there are just some songs we can not come around and enjoy on a given Sunday morning.

At the risk of offending someone who enjoys these tunes, I will share our list containing three songs we love to hate:

1. "Ancient Words" - Though highlighting the fact that the words of the Bible are rich and enduring throughout time and place, this song suffers from uninspired melody and sleep-inducing chords. This song may have been a powerful one-verse song but its strong chorus, replete with some powerful statements and bold prayers, are lost in its endless stanzas and narcotic verses. Perhaps more of a once-a-year tune, this song lands in our top three hated songs.

2. "Word of God Speak" - Okay, I know...it appears we have something against praise songs about the Bible and its ability to speak to us. For the record, our "beef" is with one line of this song only. Its charming ballad style and colorful depiction of Scripture's ability to communicate Truth are interrupted by an intrusive line: "And the funny thing is..." That's it. Listen to it if you can't fathom how one line could ruin an otherwise perfect song.




3. "Friend of God" - My personal top song to loathe is this tune. Even if one can get past its nauseatingly-chipper rhythm and questionable theology, he or she may still have a problem with its simple, repetitive lyrics that beat this otherwise dead horse into the ground. The verses are actually quite nice, which makes the chorus a stealth bomb of disappointment. Unless I am singing this song with Myron El, I would rather leave it alone...

We love to worship. We love Jesus. But let's be honest, there are just some songs that we can't help but love to hate.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yay! It's back. :)

Willow said...

I know I'm not being very PC but I wish we had more solos. We have so many talented voices, yours being one of them, you guys and gals get drowned out by the band and the worship leader. There are times when the right song can move a brother or sister into a closer relationship with Jesus. I haven't seen much of that lately and I miss it.